Share this article
New York-based financial service firm WisdomTree has filed an application with the American securities regulator for approval of an Ethereum ETF.
Second Ethereum ETF Application
The shares would provide exposure to ETH based on the CF Ether-Dollar US Settlement Price provided by CME. The asset management fund also has a pending Bitcoin ETF application.
The debut of Ethereum futures on the CME exchange earlier this year was a clear indicator of institutional acceptance of ETH. Thus, the WisdomTree’s ETF application should not come as a surprise. However, there is a difference between access to a futures market and an Ethereum ETF. Regulators have shown concern about the adverse effects of crypto ETFs on the retail market in the past, which is why applications for Bitcoin ETFs have frequently been deferred. At the same time, they can limit retail traders from regulated futures platforms like Cboe and CME.
So far, the regulator has only approved Simplify’s. It went live on Monday with limited exposure; investors can gain 15% exposure to Bitcoin and the remaining 85% to stocks.
Yesterday, the SEC also began the review process for SkyBridge and Fidelity applications, kicking off the formal 45-day review period to either approve, deny, or ask for further extension.
Although WisdomTree’s application is a positive step forward for the market, the approval of an Ethereum ETF could take years. The first Bitcoin application was filed by the Winklevoss brothers in 2013.
WisdomTree is the second firm to register for ETH securities. VanEck applied at the start of this month.
After VanEck, NYDIG Files Application for Bitcoin ETF
Bitcoin custodian and asset management firm New York Digital Investment Group (NYDIG) has filed an application for an Exchange Traded Fund (ETF) to issue shares of “NYDIG BITCOIN ETF.” NYDIG…
What is Kusama? How Polkadot’s playground accommodates blockchain de…
Kusama is relatively young and was founded in 2019 by Dr. Gavin Wood, who also founded the Web3 Foundation and co-founded Ethereum. The team behind Kusama is essentially the same…
After Bitcoin, Institutions Finally Turning to Ethereum
While many retail investors have been shaken out of the market due to the high volatility, institutional demand for Ethereum is rising. Institutional Demand at Record High Ethereum’s scalability issues…